So you’ve heard that Africa is a magical destination? That there is no better way to discover it than on horseback? You’ve heard tales of riding alongside herds of zebra, giraffe and antelope or seeing elephants on horseback. People have even told you unbelievable stories about snow-capped mountains, tropical beaches and ancient deserts. In Africa!? We’re here to give you a few reasons why not to travel to Africa – you’ll wish someone had told you all this before….
(Disclaimer: to be read with a good sense of humour)
1. It means you have to go on a horseback safari to Africa, where the sights are nothing much to write home about.
Riding in the incredible Okavango Delta – Botswana
A horse safari in the shadows of Mt Kilimanjaro – Tanzania
2. You have to ride hours through the vast wilderness just to reach your destination. Sometimes you even have to gallop across the desert or wade across rivers…
350km Ride through the Namib Desert – Namibia
Crossing the Masai Mara – Kenya
3. The landscapes are average at best… And you probably won’t see any other people the entire time!
Riding along the endless Wild Coast – South Africa
Makgadikgadi Salt Pans – Botswana
4. Overall the journey is pretty slow and boring… and you can’t even get close to the animals!
Galloping through the floodwaters of the Okavango Delta – Botswana
Get up close to chubby unicorns – South Africa
5. And don’t even get me started on the horses they make you ride…
Mozambique Horse Safari – Check it out
River Nile Safari – Uganda – Check it out
6. Or the guides they make you go with…
Joanna – Tanzania Safari Guide
7. Sometimes they don’t even provide you with a restaurant and you have to dine in the middle of nowhere!
Alfresco dining – Ol Donyo Lodge- Kenya
In the foothill of Mt Kilimanjaro – Tanzania
8. The accommodation is nothing special, and there’s certainly no luxury to be found here…
Luxury room at Borana Lodge – Kenya
Romance at Ants Hill – South Africa
8. If you’re really unlucky they might not even give you a roof over your head!
Sunrise over the Makgadikgadi Salt Pans – Botswana
Curl up under the stars on safari in Namibia
10. And every day ends with a mediocre sunset and they make you watch it from the strangest places…
Sundowners in the Okavango Delta – Botswana
Golden hour on the Tuli Safari – Botswana
I mean it really is a wonder anyone goes at all…. 😉 Don’t say we didn’t warn you!
Browse All Our Rides here!