Horse Riding Holidays in Egypt
Adventures of Luxor and Makadi Bay
Riding in Egypt offers a true horseback adventure, with historic temples, and famous landmarks such as the Red Sea and the River Nile. This unique horse riding holiday allows you to explore Egypt’s famous historic sites, such as the site of the ancient Thebes, and the Royal tombs of the Valley of the Kings, whilst having some great hours in the saddle.
The adventure begins in Luxor, on the east bank of the River Nile in southern Egypt; home of the ancient Thebes, the pharaoh’s capital during the 16th – 11th centuries B.C. Alongside exciting and thrilling riding, take a trip along the Nile shore and Gezira village to witness true Arabian village life.
Experience Fort Arabesque, and Makadi Bay in Hurghada, nestled between the stunning desert landscape and picturesque mountain range, and located on the red sea. With long stretches of white sand beaches, the terrain is perfect for long free gallops, with the crystal blue waters wizzing past. The golden scenery, contrasting against the turquoise blue sea, makes it one of the most picturesque parts of the red sea.
Each day is unique and with long steady canter’s along sandy deserts, rides through local bedouin villages, faster stretches along the shoreline and adventures into the mountains and wilderness.
Rides along the river Nile can even include spotting grazing buffalo. Ride through banana and sugar cane fields, leading to famous temples – unusual views to be seen from a horse. Venture out for a week-long journey which will create unforgettable memories, and is the perfect way to see Egypt and its famous historical landmarks.
- The chance to swim with your horse in crystal clear waters at Makadi Bay
- Ride through the Egyptian desert to historical locations such as the Valley of the Kings
- Horse ride along the famous River Nile and see buffalos grazing nearby
- Canter along the coastline of the Red Sea
- Get the chance to swim with Dolphins at Makadi Bay's Dolphin House
- Stay in beautiful accommodation in Luxor with rooftop views of ancient temples
- Where: Arrival into Hurghada
- Length: 8 days (7 nights)
- When: Monthly set dates
- Rate: 2019: £1279 per person
- Riding Level: Novice upward
- Group Size: Min 2 max 10
On arriving into Luxor for the first half of your trip, you will witness its historic beauty. Luxor is known as the “open air museum” because of the vast number of historical artefacts, its iconic homes and the ruins of the temple complexes that stand within the modern city today.
The east bank of Luxor is home to the Luxor temple & Karnak Temple, and the west bank is home to the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens.
For the final days of your trip, you will stay in the beautiful Makadi Bay, a beautiful holiday destination famous for its beautiful beaches and clear waters. On the western coast of the famous Red Sea, between Safaga and Hurghada, Makadi Bay sits between serene desert and the Red Sea mountains.
- Day 1 Travel day: Direct flight to Hurghada and private transfer to Luxor (approx 3.5 hours).
Staying at Villa Nile House.
- Day 2 After breakfast, travel by Tuk Tuk to the stables on the West Bank. Our first day is a fabulous introduction to Bedouin life. Ride through the villages on horseback and under the palm trees along the River Nile. If you are lucky you might even see some of the majestic Nile buffalo grazing along the banks. Lunch will be provided at our guest house.
No trip to Egypt would be completed without a camel safari. This is an amazing way to travel through the villages and along the Nile from an amazing viewpoint!
Dinner will be around 8pm at a local Egyptian feast and party at our guesthouse. Eating with your hands whilst sitting on the floor on plush cushions is a must when in Luxor!
Your first day here will give you a true impression of 'The Egyptian way of Life'
Approximately 5 hours in the saddle.
- Day 3 Non-riding day. After an early breakfast at around 7am, we will start with a half-day tour to The Valley of The Kings - the last resting place of the ancient Pharaohs, including Tutankhamen. The tour also includes a stop at the tomb of Hashepsut, the most famous female ruler in Ancient Egyptian history. Our trip will also take us to Carters House and The Valley of The Queens, where the wives of Pharaohs were buried.
After lunch, we will cross to the East Bank and catch a ride on hantours (traditional horse drawn buggies) to Karnak Temple - the largest religious complex in the world. We will be on hand to walk you through the vast labyrinth, explaining the history, meaning and significance of this architectural wonder - there is no words to explain the sheer magnificence of Karnak.
Following this, we will also be visiting the Luxor Temple and Luxor Museum, before finishing at the mummification museum.
- Day 4 The ultimate trail ride through the land of the Pharaohs. Our morning takes us through the countryside of Luxor, with the lush green sugarcane fields the perfect spot for a good canter through this stunning location. By mid-morning, our sure-footed horses will take you behind the Valley of The Kings and to the top of Mount Thebes, for the ultimate panoramic views of Luxor.
Lunch is served in a local village before completing our ride with a good canter through the sugarcane fields and banana plantations. This is approximately six hours from end to end. In the evening, you will board a sailing boat for dinner, the perfect way to relax after a day of riding.
- Day 5 Travel day to Hurghada
Morning departure to arrive at The Red Sea by lunchtime. After lunch by the beach and a quick dip in the pool at the Makadi Bay Hotel, you will be introduced to the Arabian horses, chosen for their forward moving nature and ability to gallop tirelessly through the Egyptian desert. We will enjoy a sunset ride before retiring for dinner by the sea.
- Day 6 After breakfast, our riding is split in to two halves. Our morning ride will take us into the desert, where there is plenty of room to let your horses go and really see how fast you can fly!
After lunch, we will ride along the stunning Red Sea coast, with its turquoise clear waters, before heading back to the hotel for dinner.
Approximately 6 hours riding time.
- Day 7 Non-riding day
You will travel by boat through the crystal waters of the Red Sea where you can spend the day relaxing and soaking up the sunshine. There will be two stunning snorkelling points, where you can explore the diverse sea-life around the reefs of Hurghada.
You will also have the opportunity to swim with wild dolphins - a truly once in a lifetime experience!
An exquisite seafood lunch will be served on board the boat - the perfect end to the trip.
- Day 8 No trip would be complete without swimming with horses in the Red Sea!
After breakfast get picked up from your hotel and transferred to our stables. Enjoy a morning canter along the beach before stripping the horses of their saddles and taking them into the water for a leisurely swim.
Indulge in a relaxed lunch on the beach and some down time, before heading back to the hotel to prepare for your return flight in the evening.
Approximately 3 hours riding time
Please enquire for 2018 and 2019 dates and rates
Some set-departures dates are available and many flexible start dates
Full Board £1279, based on 2 people sharing accommodation, for 8 days (7 nights).
- All riding activities
- Non-riding activities listed in the itinerary
- All guiding
- Delicious food and accommodation
- Water with all rides and meals
- All transfers stated within the itinerary
- All alcoholic and soft drinks
- Entries to some temples and historic sites
- International flights
Luxor – Villa Nile House
Villa Nile is a charming guest house, with authentic oriental design. The house has two rooftop terraces with views of Luxor Temple and Hatshepsut temple. The accommodation also includes;
• Swimming pool
• Air Conditioning
• Private Bathroom’s
• LCD TV
• Sitting area
• Hammam (steam room)
Harmony Makadi Bay
Situated on the southern crest of Makadi Bay and facing the Red Sea, this hotel and resort complex has over 800 m of beautiful private beach. The hotel has 4 swimming pools, including 3 pools, 1 of which is heated in winter, 1 saltwater pool and an open air jacuzzi, sun beds and beach towels are also available. With 2 bars and 5 restaurants, the Harmony Makadi Bay hotel is sure to offer dining arrangements to please even the most discerning of guests. Spa treatments such as massage can be booked at the onsite spa and wellness centre.
All room have views of the gardens, pool or sea and come equipped with a balcony/terrace, air conditioning/heating, ensuite bathroom with hairdryer, coffee table, work desk, ceiling fan, minibar, tea/coffee making facilities, safety deposit box, telephone and access to Wi-Fi.
Food & Drink
The 2 bars and 5 restaurants available onsite include ‘Piazza Grande’ the main buffet restaurant serves a range of local and international cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner sittings. 3 a la carte restaurants are open in the evenings, ‘Marco Polo’ serves Italian cuisine, ‘Layalina’ is an oriental a la carte restaurant, whilst ‘El Safina’ offers predominantly sea food. ‘Bella Vista’ Beach bar restaurant offers snack and refreshments in the afternoon, directly on the beach. The ‘Lobby bar’ is open 24/7 serving a range of hot and cold beverages and ‘Terrace Bar’ is open in the evenings specialising in teas and cocktails.
## Smart casual dress code is applicable in some dining venues, long trousers are required for dinner sittings. ##
Sports & Entertainment
In addition to the 4 swimming pools, the hotel offers beach volleyball and water sports such as snorkelling and diving. Other facilities include free parking, currency exchange, medical services (24 hour on request), shops (souvenirs, local crafts, pharmacy), 24 hour reception, laundry, Wi-Fi access and a luggage room.
Board Type: Soft all inclusive, alcohol is payable at the hotel.