Horse Riding Holidays in Egypt
Adventures of Luxor and Makadi Bay
Riding in Egypt offers a true horseback adventure, with historic temples, and famous landmarks such as the Red Sea and the River Nile. This unique horse riding holiday allows you to explore Egypt’s famous historic sites, such as the site of the ancient Thebes, and the Royal tombs of the Valley of the Kings, whilst having some great hours in the saddle.
The adventure begins in Luxor, on the east bank of the River Nile in southern Egypt; home of the ancient Thebes, the pharaoh’s capital during the 16th – 11th centuries B.C. Alongside exciting and thrilling riding, take a trip along the Nile shore and Gezira village to witness true Arabian village life.
Experience Fort Arabesque, and Makadi Bay in Hurghada, nestled between the stunning desert landscape and picturesque mountain range, and located on the red sea. With long stretches of white sand beaches, the terrain is perfect for long free gallops, with the crystal blue waters wizzing past. The golden scenery, contrasting against the turquoise blue sea, makes it one of the most picturesque parts of the red sea.
Each day is unique and with long steady canter’s along sandy deserts, rides through local bedouin villages, faster stretches along the shoreline and adventures into the mountains and wilderness.
Rides along the river Nile can even include spotting grazing buffalo. Ride through banana and sugar cane fields, leading to famous temples – unusual views to be seen from a horse. Venture out for a week-long journey which will create unforgettable memories, and is the perfect way to see Egypt and its famous historical landmarks.
- The chance to swim with your horse in crystal clear waters at Makadi Bay
- Ride through the Egyptian desert to historical locations such as the Valley of the Kings
- Horse ride along the famous River Nile and see buffalos grazing nearby
- Canter along the coastline of the Red Sea
- Get the chance to swim with Dolphins at Makadi Bay's Dolphin House
- Stay in beautiful accommodation in Luxor with rooftop views of ancient temples
- Where: Arrival into Hurghada
- Length: 8 days (7 nights)
- When: Monthly set dates
- Rate: 2017: £1279 per person
- Riding Level: Novice upward
- Group Size: Min 2 max 10
On arriving into Luxor for the first half of your trip, you will witness its historic beauty. Luxor is known as the “open air museum” because of the vast number of historical artefacts, its iconic homes and the ruins of the temple complexes that stand within the modern city today.
The east bank of Luxor is home to the Luxor temple & Karnak Temple, and the west bank is home to the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens.
For the final days of your trip, you will stay in the beautiful Makadi Bay, a beautiful holiday destination famous for its beautiful beaches and clear waters. On the western coast of the famous Red Sea, between Safaga and Hurghada, Makadi Bay sits between serene desert and the Red Sea mountains.
- Day 1 Travel day: Direct flight to Hurghada and private transfer to Luxor (approx 3.5 hours).
Staying at Villa Nile House.
- Day 2 Travel by Tuk Tuk to the stables for a day of horse riding through small villages and along the River Nile. If you are lucky you might even see some of the majestic Nile buffalo grazing along the banks.
- Day 3 Wake up to a beautiful morning, and venture out into the countryside of Luxor, enjoying some long canters through the green sugarcane fields.
After lunch, ride on into the desert and visit the Temple Medinet Habu, known as the shadow of the mountains of Thebes.
- Day 4 A days rest from the saddle, starting with a half day tour of the Valley of the Kings, the last resting place of the ancient Pharaohs, such as Tutankhamen.
In the afternoon, take a horse drawn carriage through the bustling city with time for shopping and sightseeing.
- Day 5 This morning you can enjoy a tour of Karnak Temple, the largest religious complex on the planet, and the small temple of Ptah.
After a delicious lunch, you will leave Luxor in the late afternoon around 4pm, and drive to Hurghada for the beginning of your beach and sea holiday.
Arrive early evening and check into your hotel. Perhaps taking the opportunity to spend some time relaxing with a cocktail and nice evening at the Makadi Bay hotel.
- Day 6 After breakfast, saddle-up for a morning beach ride along the coastline of the Red Sea. A stunning ride with turquoise sea views and mountains as far as the eye can see.
The long expanses of open ground make this an ideal place to stretch out and enjoy long canters or faster pace gallops.
Lunch is served on the beach, with time to relax and snorkel before riding back to the stables.
- Day 7 Today take to the sea by boat. An unforgettable experience which includes 2 stop-off snorkelling points to view underneath the reefs of Hurghada and a chance to swim with Dolphins at Dolphin house.
A delicious seafood lunch will be served on board the boat - the perfect end to the trip.
- Day 8 No trip would be complete without swimming with horses in the Red Sea!
After breakfast get picked up from your hotel and transferred to the stables. Enjoy a morning canter along the sea before stripping the horses of their saddles and joining them for a swim.
Emerge from the sea grinning and indulge in a relaxed lunch on the beach and some down time, before heading back to the hotel to prepare for your return flight in the evening.
September 9th - 16th
October 7th - 17th (Fully Booked)
October 21st - 29th
November 10th - 17th
December 21st - 28th
December 25th - January 5th: Valley of the Kings New Years celebrations
January 13th - 20th
January 27th - 3rd Feb
March 13th - 20th
Full Board £1279, based on 2 people sharing accommodation, for 8 days (7 nights).
- All riding activities
- Non-riding activities listed in the itinerary
- All guiding
- Delicious food and accommodation
- All transfers stated within the itinerary
- International flights
Luxor – Villa Nile House
Villa Nile is a charming guest house, with authentic oriental design. The house has two rooftop terraces with views of Luxor Temple and Hatshepsut temple. The accommodation also includes;
• Swimming pool
• Air Conditioning
• Private Bathroom’s
• LCD TV
• Sitting area
• Hammam (steam room)
Makadi Bay – Steigenberger Makadi
5 star Steigenberger Makadi Hotel, lies on the shores of Madinat Makadi. With 83 rooms and 10 executive suites, this hotel offers fantastic sea views from luxury accommodation.
• 18 hole golf course
• Sand Beach
• Air conditioning
• Satellite TV
• Mini bar