River Nile Horse Safari in Uganda
This unique horse safari in Uganda, offers fabulous riding around the source of the world’s longest river, the River Nile. Explore lush green rain forests, feeling like jungle explorers in search of rare birds and monkeys, cross swamps and climb hills boasting beautiful vistas. Spend a day riding along the edge of the magic Lake Victoria before following the edge of the River Nile at its source in Jinja, Uganda.
Experience rural Africa, as you pass through traditional Ugandan villages, wonderful sugar cane and tea plantations and vast open farmland. Stunning and diverse vistas, teamed with Africa’s world-famous sun rises and sunsets, ensures a feast for your eyes throughout the week. Stay in some memorable and beautiful lodges, such as on an island in the middle of the Nile, and enjoy the other activities and facilities they have to offer – white water rafting, swimming pools and great sunbathing decks. Fabulous sights of Uganda, pristine rain forest, a multitude of bird species, monkeys galore, and iconic rivers and lakes, makes this a riding holiday to remember.
Riding alongside the majestic River Nile and enchanting Lake Victoria
- Feeling like a jungle explorer as you ride through lush green rain forest in search of monkeys and birds
- Enjoying a multitude of activities such as a sunset boat cruise, white water rafting and swimming with your horse in the Nile
- Fabulous views of Ugandan countryside and an insight into rural Africa at its best
- Arrival and Departure Pick up and drop off at Entebbe Airport
- Length 8 days, 7 nights
- When Please enquire for group bookings and 2018 dates
- Rate $3800. Single supplement of $250
- Riding Level Intermediate to Advanced riders. You must be able to canter for long periods of time and be in the saddle for 4 - 6 hours a day
- Group Size Min 2 - Max 8
This is a very varied ride across some of rural Uganda’s most beautiful scenery. You will experience traditional Ugandan culture as you pass through local villages that dot the landscapes and pass through farm lands growing crops and stunning sugar cane and tea plantations.
Pass areas of wild pristine Uganda, traversing exciting jungle and rainforest terrain, and riding along the banks of the River Nile at its source in Jinja Uganda.
The River Nile
The iconic River Nile is a lifeline for huge swathes of north-eastern Africa and is generally regarded as the longest river in the world. The Nile is considered 6,853km long and labeled an ‘international’ river as its resources are shared by eleven countries: Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Congo-Kinshasa, Kenya, Ethiopia, Eritrea, South Sudan, Sudan and Egypt.
Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa, filled primarily by the Nile’s waters. The lake lies mainly within Tanzania and Uganda but has a border with Kenya. The vast area is 69,484 square km of fresh water, a total that is only exceeded by Lake Superior in North America. This stunning area is home to a huge variety of flora and fauna and is one of Africa’s greatest treasures.
- Day 1: Fly into Entebbe where you will be met and transferred to Jinja if you have a morning flight, otherwise overnight in Entebbe and transfer the following morning.
Arrive at Holland Park in Jinja and be welcomed by a cold drink and a team waiting to brief you on your next exciting week.
After meeting the horses and your guides, mount up for a 2 hour ride to get to warm up and get to know your horse. Riding in that beautiful afternoon light, as the sun starts to sink, you will explore the local village and the banks of the River Nile.
- Day 2: After waking up to a glorious African morning and delicious breakfast, set off for a ride beside the iconic Lake Victoria. The horses will be transported to your start point, before you mount up and set off for a wonderful 4 hour ride around an enormous peninsula that lies in Lake Victoria. Stop for lunch en route, nestled in the hills overlooking the lake and Jinja town. The ride boasts stunning views of the lake, surrounding sugar plantations, and traditional villages. You will have the opportunity for some long canters, reveling in the freedom and wide open landscapes.
Enjoy a sunset cruise in the evening on Bujagali lake for sun downer drinks before returning to Holland Park for dinner.
- Day 3: Rising to the dawn chorus, this morning you will ride to your next stop – the Rain Forest Lodge. Today, spend 4 hours up in the saddle, exploring various plantations and villages and traversing hills which offer fabulous views of the countryside.
Arrive at Rainforest Lodge in the afternoon, with time for swim or guided walk through the lush and spectacular forest.
- Day 4: After breakfast, mount up and spend 4 hours winding your way through the endearing Mabira forest, searching for rare forest primates (Grey cheeked Mangabeys) and other local monkey species. Find a lovely lunch spot en route, in the shade of the beautiful forest canopy.
Return to Rain Forest Lodge in the afternoon for an afternoon siesta, a chill session by the pool or even indulge in a massage.
Enjoy a delicious dinner at the lodge.
- Day 5: Today you will be have the fun of swapping your horse for a fresh steed and enjoying 4 hours of riding through tea plantations, lookout points and jungled terrain. Arrive at your next destination – the Haven – in time for a late lunch.
Spend the afternoon by the pool or even take a dip in the river as you enjoy views that overlook the impressive white water rapids.
- Day 6: Spend the day thrill seeking with some of the most spectacular white water rafting in the world with warm water and excellent rapids – an unforgettable experience. If rafting isn’t your thing you may wish to go quad biking, bungee jumping, mountain biking, kayaking or jet boating!
On returning from rafting, your morning activity or a nice chill session at the hotel, spend an hour or so taking your horses for a swim in the Nile. Enjoying the water with these magnificent beasts is brilliant fun and they love it too.
Return for a delicious dinner.
- Day 7: Rising on your last morning of the trip, enjoy a scrumptious breakfast, before heading out to explore several sections along the banks of the Nile. After a wonderful 3 to 4 hour ride, you will arrive at Wild Waters Lodge – a breathtaking lodge situated on an island in the middle of the Nile and surrounded by massive white water rapids.
Arriving in time for an afternoon swim, you will love the pool, which is actually part of the Nile itself.
Enjoy a last meal, reminiscing over the week’s adventures, and taking in the wonderful and surreal setting to Wild Waters Lodge.
- Day 8: After breakfast and lunch, plans will be made for your departure.
Please enquire for group bookings and confirmed dates
$3800 for minimum group of 4 people. There is a $250 single supplement for those who do not wish to share.
- Accommodation throughout the trip
- Transfers to and from airport
- All meals mentioned in the itinerary
- All riding
- Activities mentioned in the itinerary
- Staff gratuities
- International flights
You will stay in the following accommodation:
This little gem of a lodge, is located in a beautiful spot at the top of a hill and boasts wonderful views of the Nile. The lodge is surrounded by lush vegetation and a large variety of birds and monkeys.
The Rain Forest Lodge
The lodge is situated in the peaceful and magical Mabira forest. Each room is secluded and has its own private balcony overlooking the rain forest.
A peaceful and relaxed River Lodge, which is rated as one of the best accommodation choices in Jinja region. The Lodge boasts breathtaking views over the starting point of rafting at the first waterfall of the river Nile. This tranquil setting allows you to relax and gaze into the gently flowing water of the longest river in the world.
You can watch the fish eagle, fish otters, monitor lizards, monkeys and numerous species of birds from the spacious terrasse and enjoy the delicious food of the restaurant and bar.
Staying at Wildwaters is a unique and spectacular experience; the Lodge is situated on its own private island, surrounded by luxuriant rain forest, out in the middle of the flowing Nile River. This breathtaking property has 10 rooms, all with private decks offering views of the river and equipped with elegant free-standing baths and wash basins carved from the local pink granite. Walk through the heart of the forest on the wooden walkways which gracefully link the rooms to the restaurant and bar area. Relax in this surreal setting or escape the heat of the day and dive into the natural swimming pool, carved by the river over millennia from pink granite.
The lodge forms part of the newly formed Wildwaters Reserve, a group of mid-stream islands in the Nile, famous for being the home of whitewater rafting on the Nile. You can see otters, giant monitor lizards and hundreds of species of birds here. The lodge is the centre-piece for a conservation initiative aimed at protecting this pristine riverine environment for future generations. Staying here helps contribute to ensuring that the local communities benefit directly from the tourism the lodge brings, and helps to protect the beautiful, heavily forested islands in the Nile.