Horse Riding Safari in the Masai Mara
It is hard to sum up in words the magic of a horse riding safari in the Masai Mara or to capture its energy and wonder in type. Riding in Kenya’s Masai Mara, home to some spectacular bird and wildlife, offers arguably unparalleled game viewing, and is a horse safari set to the backdrop of one of Africa’s most iconic landscapes – the endless and beautiful savannah. With sunsets like no other and vast plains to race across, you will not be disappointed mounting up here and taking on the Mara Ride.
This adventure will take you past elephant, buffalo and maybe even lion, and give you the once in a life time experience of cantering alongside herds of wildebeest and zebra, as you navigate the Mara with a mobile tented camp in convoy. Led by a private and expert guide you will spend 7 days exploring this beautiful part of the world, moving camp four times, with the help of a team who will set out ahead of you and have the next camp set up and a cold beverage waiting on arrival. This ride covers over 250km of the Masai Mara and takes you through areas where big game may be present and is therefore not suitable for inexperienced riders. However, if you are an experienced rider, there is simply no better way to explore this breathtaking landscape, and all its animal encounters, than from the back of a well-schooled and fit horse.
- The unparalleled experience of riding and cantering alongside game in one of Africa’s most impressive settings.
- Exploring some of Africa's most iconic scenery with spectacular sunsets and sweeping views.
- The migration is something that draws many to Kenya's Masai Mara. From July to Octover this ride offers the chance to ride alongside thousands upon thousands of wildebeest and zebra.
- The chance to encounter big cats. A pride that is used to horses and therefore making close encounters both breathtaking and heart stopping!
- The excitement of crossing the Mara River whilst hippos watch on.
- Arrival and Departure Arrival and Departure from Nairobi
- Length 7 nights, 8 days, 6.5 days riding, 1 day departure
- When Please see dates and rates section for specific start dates
- Rates Prices start from $5900. Closed: April, May and November
- Riding Level Guests must be comfortable at all paces, balanced in the saddle and able to gallop out of trouble if needs be. There is a weight restriction of 95kg.
The Masai Mara is situated in south-west Kenya and is one of Africa’s greatest treasures. Together with the Serengeti National Park it provides an important sanctuary for some of Africa’s most spectacular wildlife. The Mara has one of the most diverse eco-systems in Africa, with over 95 species of mammals and over 570 recorded species of birds. The Masai Mara National Reserve covers 1510sqkm and is 1500 – 2170metres above sea level.
The Mara has a magic that is very difficult to rival; this true African bush, with its wide open plains and teeming wildlife, will form the idyllic setting for an unforgettable ride of a lifetime.
- 7 night Mara Ride itinerary - this itinerary is reversible depending on which dates you have booked. Tailor-made safaris are available on request.
- Day 1: You will be met either at your hotel in Nairobi or from the airport directly and transferred to Wilson Airport for a 10:30 charter or 10am schedule flight to Naibosho. The flight is a special experience in itself with stunning views of the Kikuyu Highlands and on towards the Great Rift Valley. Once over the Rift Valley the Loita Hills will start to come into view as you head for the Naibosho Airstrip where you will be welcomed by your guide.
Hop onto a vehicle for your first game drive - an hour transfer to the camp. Pulling into a clearing in amongst the acacia trees on the Southern edge of the Loita Plains at Olare Lamun, you will find your private camp nestled into the bush and on the edge of a small steam. You will be welcomed by a cold drink and experience your first taste of delicious ‘bush cuisine’ as lunch is served.
After lunch, get settled in before meeting the horses and climbing aboard for your first evening ride as the sun starts to sink lower in the sky. You will return to camp for your first dinner as a group and a chance to get to know your fellow riders.
- Day 2: After waking up to your first dawn chorus and beautifully crisp African morning, you will be served breakfast and mount up for your first full day in the saddle. The ride will take you across the vast landscape full of exciting game to investigate. You will have the opportunity to take a drive, ride or even walk from the camp in the afternoon.
Following sundowners and yet another candlelit supper, overnight once more at Olare Lamun. Before bed you might want to sit out round the campfire and take in stars like you won’t see anywhere else in the world that fill the night sky.
- Day 3: Today marks our first moving day. With any first day nerves well in the past, set out after an early breakfast for the longest journey of the trip – nearly 50km! The ride offers spectacular scenery of sweeping savannah plains, a chance for some faster riding, and game often becoming more plentiful as you approach the Mara ecosystem. Herds of zebra, topi, giraffe, wilderbeest and gazelle are commonly seen and there is a good chance of elephant and buffalo sighting as well, so keep your eyes peeled.
Tonight’s camp is on the edge of the Masai Game Reserve on the Olare Orok and you will arrive there late afternoon. The game viewing is excellent and as you’re lying tucked up at night you are likely to hear the prides of lion and hyena calling.
- Day 4: After breakfast, ride out from camp to explore the surrounding area, before returning for lunch. In the afternoon there is the option to either mount up once more or enter the game park by vehicle, and from the car, get up close and personal with the lion and elephant and take advantage of the excellent photographic opportunity.
Return to camp for dinner and sit around the camp fire, listening to the sounds of the bush before tucking into bed.
- Day 5: Another moving day. You will ride out west across the Mara plains in order to reach the Mara River on the park boundary. Providing the river is not in complete flood then you will make a crossing at one of the famous wildebeest crossings and then head south west covering the Mara Triangle. This is where you will have your picnic lunch before ascending the Soit Olololol Escarpment to reach tonight’s camp, set in an idyllic forest glade with views stretching across the vast swathes of the Mara.
- Day 6: Set out this morning along the top of the escarpment, taking in the spectacular views and the excellent terrain invites some faster riding. The Mara birdlife is excellent and you will hopefully catch sight of the beautiful Schalows Turaco alongside all the plains game. You will tackle descending the escarpment on foot and lunch will be taken at the bottom under some acacia trees.
After lunch the ride will return through the Mara Triangle with the escarpment towering impressively over you before ascending once more on a game trail – many bachelor buffalo herds are a highlight of this afternoons ride. Return once more to overnight at Soit Olololol.
- Day 7: After yet another bush breakfast, descend the escarpment once more and ride back across the river at a wildebeest crossing. The ride will then take you north west and after lunch you will find your final campsite set up on the banks of the Mara River. The camp is situated near some pools, ideal for hippo wallowing and many of these mighty beasts will be heard grunting in the night!
- Day 8: Following breakfast you will fly back to Nairobi.
Please enquire for 2018 dates
6 - 13 January - 7 Nights - USD$5900
13 - 20 January - 7 Nights - USD$5900
10 - 17 February - 7 Nights - USD$5900
9 - 16 June - 7 Nights - USD$5900
15 - 22 July - 7 Nights - USD$6900
4 - 11 Aug - 7 Nights - USD$6900
11 - 18 Aug - 7 Nights - USD$6900
15 - 22 Sep - 7 Nights - USD$6900
01 - 08 Dec - 7 Nights - USD$5900
Mid Season: 1st January – 16th July
High Season: 16th July – 17th October
Closed: April, May and November.
Prices starting from: 8 Days, 7 Nights: $5900
- All conservation & park fees
- Internal flights and transfers associated with each safari
- Dayroom in Nairobi on last day if required (7 night rides only)
- Full board accommodation
- All drinks throughout your adventure (except Champagne)
- A private and expert guide
- All riding
- Game drives (day & night)
- Local airstrip transfers
- International flights and visa
- SINGLE SUPPLEMENT (if not willing to share): £95 per night per single
Over the week’s adventure you will camp in four different locations. A team will move the mobile camp ahead of your arrival at each destination and the camp will be set up by the time you pull in, in the afternoon. All your luggage and belongings will also be transferred by vehicle.
The mobile tents are well equipped with proper beds and each tent has its own long drop toilet and there are three bucket showers per camp. There is a main mess tent where meals will be taken and this will act as the central point with your sleeper tents spaced out and surrounding it. Pictures can be seen in the gallery.