Wolwedans Lodge Riding Holiday in Namibia
Over 20 years of experience guiding horse riding safaris across the hauntingly beautiful Namib Desert, has led to the creation of the ultimate riding holiday in Namibia for those who love all things wild and free. This true adventure takes you through some of the most unique and breathtaking desert landscapes on earth. You will spend this riding holiday in Namibia enjoying super fit, responsive and impressively sure-footed horses. There are approximately 80 horses of varying types available; ranging from Arab, Trakehner/Cross, Hanoverian, Boerperd and ranch horses. This adventure is suitable for experienced riders only.
This horse riding holiday offers an adventure through unparalleled wilderness, stunning scenery and rich biodiversity, and teams it with exquisite luxury. Based in the Wolwedans Private Reserve, stay in a luxury tented camp, situated in the idyllic setting of the Namib Desert. Stay amongst the iconic red dunes of the Namib sand sea, vast grassy plains and a surprising variety of desert-adapted animals. Surrounded by distant mountains tinged in the characteristic pastel shades of the desert, these panoramic vistas beyond are anything you could have imaged. The scenery only increases in wonder as the sun sets to reveal a sky full to the brim with stars and rare views of a Milky Way without even the tiniest amount of light pollution. The area is one of the largest continuous Nature Reserves in Southern Africa with surprisingly rich biodiversity and wildlife to be discovered.
- Unrestricted riding across endless desert plains and the inescapable sense of adventure
- The chance to experience one of the world’s last true wildernesses from the back of a horse
- The joys of an unparalleled adventure teamed with exquisite luxury
- Enjoying the comforts of the beautifully finished, exclusive and luxurious tented camp at Wolwedans
- Magical night skies with unparalleled star gazing
- Arrival and Departure From Windhoek, back to Windhoek
- Length 6 nights luxury lodge-based accommodation, 4, 5 days riding. Minimum 2 people. 3 nights
- When Tailor-made for small groups 6 - 8 people
- Rates Rate to be advised. Transfers quoted separately
- Riding Level Riding 10 - 30 km per day at all paces over uneven terrain, this ride is suitable for intermediate to advanced riders
- Number of Riders 6-8 riders per group
Namibia with its stark and striking landscapes will take your breath away. The Namib Desert is one of the most spectacular desert landscapes in the world and what better way to explore it than from the back of a horse. The desert is home to a surprising variety of wildlife, all adapted in exceptionally special and interesting ways to survive such harsh environments.
Traversing this sparse, wide and varying terrain will give you a sense of adventure very difficult to rival. As the sun sets the Namib skies reveal an equally impressive spectacle of the Milky Way stretching far out; with arguably less light pollution than anywhere else in the world the stars are virtually unparalleled.
- Provided below is a sample itinerary however guests must be aware that due to the adventurous nature of the ride timings and routes can vary. All variations and changes to the itinerary will always be in your best interests.
- Day 1: After arriving in Windhoek you will be transferred to Wolwedans (approx. 6.5 hours by road) or alternatively it is possible to fly (approx. 1hr45m). The journey takes you through the highlands before dramatically descending off the plateau and offering stunning views of the Namib far below. Once at Wolwedans you will be welcomed by an ice cold drink, served a delicious late lunch and then introduced to your guide and horses. Once aboard you will set out on your introductory ride into this untouched wonderland - your first chance to explore. Ending the ride amongst the dunes will provide the perfect setting for a well-deserved and spectacular sundowner.
- Day 2: Following a scrumptious breakfast you will set off for a full day’s ride across the pristine landscape, navigating the edge of the low dunes and enchanting fairy circles, with the striking mountains a constant backdrop. Lunch will be taken under ancient Camelthorn trees before returning to your accommodation during the late afternoon and a welcome beverage. You will have dinner by candle light and surrounded by the gentle sounds of the desert.
- Day 3: Today you will mount up and ride out for Boulder Camp. Crossing wide grassy savannah plains invites for some faster riding and the chance to pick up the pace. Lunch will be taken at a spontaneous picnic spot en-route before arriving into Boulder Camp, nestled into the hillside with spectacular views and surrounded by impressive granite boulders.
- Day 4: After greeting yet another fabulous African morning, you will set off for a full day’s ride to explore the southern part of the reserve. Again lunch will be taken at a picnic spot chosen en route. You may return again to Boulder Camp for the night or similar depending on your finalised itinerary.
- Day 5: This morning you will set out across the Kalahari-esque ‘dune streets’ where only Camelthorn trees and grazing plains game disrupt the landscape. Lunch will be taken en route before returning to overnight in one of the private camps, always complete with stunning views and delicious food.
- Day 6: This morning you will be able to choose whether to get back in the saddle or take a leisurely scenic drive, opt for a hot air balloon ride over Sossusvlei sand dunes (at an extra cost) or simply relax at the lodge. In the afternoon you will ride out on your final ride, a chance to have some fun and bid farewell to the wide open plains of the Namib. You will then return for a last night spent reminiscing around the camp fire about what will have no doubt been an unforgettable week.
- Day 7: Following an early breakfast you will set off for Windhoek Airport, due to arrive by approximately 15:00 so flights leaving the same day should be booked in the evening.
Group dates are made on request - please enquire for details
Rates: Please enquire. 2 people, 3 nights minimum.
Single supplement for lodge accommodation sometimes applicable unless willing to share.
Extra Horse £650
- All riding for the week.
- Luxury tented accommodation, showers with hot and cold water and flush toilets throughout the trip.
- Delicious meals three times a day and drinks while on the ride and in camp.
- Personal and expert guide throughout the trip.
- A well trained, fit four-legged friend to escort you on your adventure.
- The option for a scenic drive on the last morning of your trip.
- Extra horse charge for riders 85kg and over in riding gear. For our horses’ sake, please be accurate regarding weight and level of fitness.
- Accommodation and transfers before arrival at Wolwedans. You can transfer by air – approx. £250 per person each way (minimum 2) or by vehicle at approx. £400 per vehicle each way.
- Safari staff gratuities.
Wolwedans portfolio of exquisite camps provides an unbeatable and luxurious base from which to explore the vast and spectacular wilderness that stretches out in all directions. Here you will encounter both small and large desert animals, impressive desert-adapted flora and intriguing geological landscapes.
Wolwedans prides itself in offering a personalised, exclusive experience, recognising the importance of guests and nature alike. Their lodge and camps indulge in all the important creature comforts: crisp white sheets, warm down duvets for those chilly desert nights and solar-heated hot showers after a long ride in the great beyond.
Dinners are the very best of ‘bush cuisine’, taken in a relaxed atmosphere, lit by candles and paired with excellent local and South African wines. All camps were constructed using poles, elevated wooden decks and roll-up canvas walls and are driven solely by solar power – ensuring a very light environmental footprint on the pristine desert ecology.